Law and Employment

Temporary or seasonal work

Temporary or seasonal work

A lot of employment opportunities can come around tourist season. Think about bar work or tour reps in warmer countries, or ski instruction and chalet work in the winter. You might be interested in fruit picking, cruise ship duties, a ‘counsellor’ for Camp America, childcare, catering, or casino work.

It can be really hard work at times, and you need to be a ‘people person’, with a good sense of humour, and a reasonable level of fitness. Try a local travel agency to find out what kind of staff will be needed.

Long-term employment

Longer-term employment such as Au-Pair work and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) can be a good way to get an in-depth taste of what a country is really like. You are often required to have certain qualifications and certificates, and placements tend to be done through agencies. Again, ask around and see who other people recommend.

Keep an eye on the national papers for vacancies abroad, or think about applying to overseas branches of companies that have offices in the UK. EURES have all kinds of long-term and permanent employment prospects on their database. There are also several online employment agencies with worldwide vacancies.

Contact the UK-based embassy for the country of your choice to find out about work permits, visas, benefits, and necessary qualifications. If it’s a permanent move you’ll need to ask about residency or ‘indefinite leave to remain’. Apply to embassies as far in advance as you possibly can, because it can often take several weeks for them to sort out the correct paperwork.